Monday, May 3, 2010


Get comfortable.

4:40pm today.

Found myself sitting at the front window of Gertrude and Alice despite being filled with best intentions to go home, jog, tidy, budget etc and put thoughts of M out of my mind. M: the beautiful, big blue eyed, blonde German who chased me down the road from the IGA at Hall St, Bondi, to earnestly and Germanly ask for my number.

We first made eye contact in the U-Turn yesterday late afternoon and I instantly felt my whole being start kicking at a million miles an hour. Everyone who thinks we are highly evolved, immune to animal behaviour, is kidding themselves. From about 10 metres away, as soon as our eyes locked, he said "Hey". The spontaneity took me off guard, and rabbit in headlights I found shelter in the suddenly intensely interested perusing of the rack of clothes in front of me. A parting smile and awkward chemistry, and I exited the op shop to see them (M + friend) about 50m up the road in the direction of the IGA I was about to head about 5 minutes later.

Walked right past him in fright in the diary section. It went something like: Yoghurt. Yoghurt. Yoghurt. Cheese. M. Ahhhh. freak. out. Yoghurt. Yoghurt.

Pathetic. I know. What am I 12?! Anyway. In another aisle he continued his forward streak with "Hey, how are you", "Good how are you". Keep walking. Lined up behind them, genuine coincidence, then a parting smile as I left.

Next thing, a few shops down the road and I am tapped on the shoulder by such German. Number given. Win. 20 minutes later realised I may have in the moment misstyped number. Fail. Anxiety. Sleep.

Day 2. Sitting in Gertrude and Alice after a conversation with my friend Sam led me to ride past my stop, so found myself walking up the street to just outside where we had met, sitting in the exquisitely wooden worn window seat, and for some bizarro reason thinking I might see him again. Well. Who should walk through the door of the shop, about an hour and a half later as I am on my second caffeine hit and writing madly in a note pad, but M.

Win. Definite Win.

Watch this space.


P.s. On A lighter note. This poster was up in the Bathrooms. I'm pretty sure it sums up my current experience of looking for a place in the Eastern Suburbs. Especially near the sea. Box not included...

P.p.s. I have recently, and seriously, decided to give up on the whole dating thing for a while. I bet you they can smell it. Somewhere, there is a secret society of men, plotting ways to keep themselves on our brains. They are like, ha... cracked another one. Aryan Super Race: 1. Caroline: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment